Memento

 

Memento for Popop
Materials: Wood, Brass metallic paint, Black sharpie

    This sculpture represents the impact my late grandfather, my Popop, has had on my life and my family. A few memories came to mind when designing this. One from my time with my family at a summer beach house where we all stayed, and Popop played practical jokes on us the whole time. The other memory I come back to is when he and my Nana took me to Yoko Ono sculpture exhibit. It was kind of a let down as it was only one set of sculptures of the same pink blobs with spots. 
    Keeping these in mind, the sculptures did leave an impression, and it seemed like something that worked well for a palm-sized sculpture. Wood felt right as it is a sturdy material, but stubborn; much like him. The brass paint represents his time as an officer in the navy; also known as the brass. The brass ended up looking more gold after application and this felt even more accurate to his impact with my family. The black dots represented the many memories we've all had with him. 
    The end result was a smooth sculpture with many facets to its surface. The dots drawn to overlap with multiple facets on the sculpture, portraying the many sides Popop would come from when displaying his wisdom; coming from his own experiences, throwing in humor, and showing his serious side when it's most necessary. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cabinet of Curiosity

A Few of My Favorite Things